Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Seven-gill-o-rama with the Scuba Diver Girls

Now, I have to admit to being a bit of a cold water wimp. So, as I'm pulling on my 8/7 mm semi-dry wetsuit, gloves, hood, booties and a 2 mm shorty underneath to keep warm, I'm definitely: a) not feeling too svelte with all extra thermal padding; and, b) thinking way too snidely, it better be worth all the effort. Before we get to the "b" part of the blog, I have to say a few words about our hosts, the wonderful, professional and definitely fun-inducing, absolutely contagious Scuba Diver Girls. We dived with Margo, Stephanie, Sonja, Bethy, Karma and Anita. And, to all the scuba diving boys out there, here's the deal: the girls bring the thrill and fun and adventure back to this sport in a way that I haven't seen since I first took to the water in 1978 to, of all things, meet girls. During almost two decades in the dive magazine trenches, travels all around the world, two stints as a DEMA board member, I've preached lifestyle and adventure and fun and focusing on the reason you learn to dive in the first place (the thrill of discovery, marinelife, exploration, people), rather than being a gauge watcher and been-there-done-that punk. I've seen two groups that bring diving to life, the Theresa Kaplan-led (noted female diver) PADI Diving Society Total Submersion events, and now the Scuba Diver Girls. We laughed, we relaxed, there was no stress, no get-in-the-water-now, no competitive strutting, no my fins are better than yours, just a let's enjoy life as the coolest people on earth, divers, vibe. I could go on and on. But, since it's my soapbox, here's the deal: The Scuba Diver Girls are growing like mad for one simple reason — they make diving fun, adventurous, memorable and stress free. They don't say it, they live it. And, I for one, loved diving with them. I'm thinking of becoming a Scuba Diver Girl (Margo?? Honorary?). And, yes, I did just say that out loud, and it gets even better.


We geared up, waddled down to the beach and did a surface swim to the kelp forest and a buoy to hopefully glance at a rarely seen seven gill shark. They're normally a deep water species, but they've been cavorting in the cove and rubbing elbows with the giant black sea bass and bat rays. We descended just outside the kelp forest and meandered through the mesmerizing world of shadow and light that makes this underwater scenery so alluring. Like all sharks, seven gills are sneaky and one slipped from the gloom at the edge of visibility (about 20-feet) and swam right up to my camera. I was show stunned I just watched. Then came another, then another...pretty soon we had seven seven gill sharks weaving through, around over and under our group. You could hear us all exclaiming through our regs. They just hung around for about 20-minutes. I never even noticed the 58°F water. I'd never seen such a thing as this. A rare, prehistoric, seven gill shark coming right up to eyeball me. All I can say is woohoo!

Back on the soapbox for a second: There are apparently a bunch of small minded spearfishermen that keep spearing these sharks because they get interested in the dead fish they have dangling off their waists! Are you stupid? Or, competing for a Darwin award? Of course, sharks are gonna go for the bait. Get a float for your catch, numbnuts. 

After the dive we went to the Spot and, as you'll see from the TV segment, we were all still amped up from the experience. It was mind-blowing. I can't wait to go back and dive with the SDG again.

The SDG's dive in Southern California's La Jolla Cove every single day and still keep it fresh and exciting. Guys, feel free to friend them on Facebook. Breathing life back to diving is not exclusive. They're happy to share. And, to get a daily taste of their brand of diving, check out Bethy's daily dive report.

Thanks, ladies. You rock!

1 comment:

  1. This article is awesome about the seven gill shark at La Jolla Cove in southern California. Scubadiving-gear likes this and the scuba diver girls!!

    ReplyDelete