Thursday, June 9, 2011

Chased by a buffalo

Well, we just got back from Catalina Island, off Los Angeles, California. We were exploring the backside and came across a buffalo named Hendrix, one of our guide Chip Upton's favorite old bulls. Hendrix is about 1,500 pounds of ornery old buffalo. Of course, I wanted to get a nice up-close shot of its face. Now, every animal in the world has what's called a "zone of comfort," an invisible space around them that, if you stay outside the boundary, there's no problem, but if you cross into their comfort zone they either: a) scatter; or, b) attack.


I kept inching closer and closer, trying to not look too threatening. Apparently I tripped the invisible wire and just as Chip announces that I might be getting a little close, Hendrix looks up, I see the red of its eyes, it stomps and then charges. Bill, the producer and first camera, and I grab our gear and run like crazed madmen to escape the maddened bull. All I hoped was that I could outrun Bill.

Turns out that old buffalo bulls have a limited charge left in them and it gave up after about 50 feet. Whew. But, at least I know I can outrun Bill. ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment